Thursday, March 24, 2011

Frik and Frak


Anybody that mentions the movie "The Beach", deserves to be written about. I freely admit that I've never seen the movie, but as I recall, the only press the movie received was about saving the damned beach it was filmed on…before the movie was ever made. That may or may not be a dig aimed at the originator of the comment, but at the very least…it piqued my interest.

Two guys, sitting at the bar in the restaurant I was in, one an aspiring young professional, the other perhaps a modern man of the world:

The conversation centered mostly around various communication and media companies, but it was interesting nonetheless.


 

FrIk: Didn't you know that Media Company A was acquired by larger Media Company B?

FrAk: No, Man! When did that happen?

FrIk: Man! Haven't you been following the media company feeding frenzy…gobbling up one another for the past season?


 

Note: He didn't actually answer the question. I wasn't aware of the acquisition, but I haven't been quite keeping up with the media company feeding frenzy either. Score: 30 - Love.


 

FrIk presents as an olive skinned guy in his late twenties, dressed very well, and a laptop at his disposal on the bar.

FrAk, his darker skinned companion, also in his late twenties and well dressed, displaying a not-so-groomed set of facial hair…cool, hip, but not overly groomed.


 

FrAk: Have you ever seen the movie, "The Beach"?

FrIk: No, what's it about?

FrAk: It's about this really beautiful beach and they…[completely lost track of the next few words, due to the Tequila Sunshine delivered to me. Think Tequila Sunrise made with Pepper infused tequila…a most marvelous drink!]

FrIk: so they save the Beach?

FrAk: It's a marvelous beach, really really perfect and beautiful.


 

Note: Second question that goes unanswered…tit for tat. Score: 30 – 30. I would say that I've been to a few beaches in my life, and several of them were quite wonderful…but, I don't remember pitching that we make a movie only about the beach.


 

[The conversation languishes for a while as they drink and split an appetizer.]


 

FrIk: Have you ever heard of Zombie Lego Apocalypse?

[Uhm, no, but now you have MY complete and undistracted attention…WTF?]

FrAk: No, what is it?

FrIk: This dude takes little lego people and makes them into zombies, and then creates these apocalyptic scenes where people battle them.

[NO SHIT!!!! Really, where does this stuff come from????]

FrAk: What do you mean? Does he make them? Like little models?

FrIk: I'll show you. [opens laptop and pulls up website]

ME: Excuse me, did I overhear you correctly…zombie legos?

FrIk: Yeah, he takes them to shows, and you know, to like win awards?

[I'm completely unaware of the "Jacked-Up Lego Art Show" movement.]


 

Note: FrIk now shows us several scenes of the zombie-fied legos and several scenes where something definitely apocalyptic appropriately fits as a description. Score: 60 – 30 (double points)


 

FrIk: Yeah, he does this and paints them himself . [And…quite well, if I may add]

FrAk: [laughs]


 

Note: Which, at this point, I have to turn away from them, because he sounds just like Chandler Bing's girlfriend Janice, which in turn makes me crack up. Score: 60 – 40.


 

Final Note: After this, they pay for the check, which isn't without incident, as FrIk almost leaves his credit card in the bill…Score: FrIk wins the match!


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment